- Arrive at our Scout Hut @ 5:30 PM Friday for gear and food distribution, vehicle assignments, and to eat dinner.
- Bring money ($5) to pay for your friday Chick-Fil-A dinner and weekend troop snacks.
- If you need Class-B t-shirts, see any of the scoutmasters.
- Departure is at 6:00 pm. sharp.
- Return on Sunday between 12:00 and 2:00. Drivers will have scouts call their parents with an estimated arrival time before we arrive back in Atlanta.
- Two- or three-man tents - no family tents.
- No Pop Tarts for main meals.
- Menus to be approved by SPL prior to departure
- Adults that attend are assumed to be drivers. Please make sure the troop has updated auto insurance information and contact numbers.
- See this page for tips and suggestions on where to buy gear.
- A more complete list of campout guidelines and planning information can be found here.
- The troop asks that parents of each scout volunteer to drive or attend at least two campouts per school year.
- As of November 2017, our camping policy has changed. Scouts that cannot attend an entire campout or Troop activity (summer camp, high adventure, NYLT, etc.) should not sign-up nor attend. Thus, there will be no more late arrivals, early departures, etc.
- Download the Bill Eidson ringtone so you can experience the full effect of a T197 campout! m4a, mp3, ogg formats.
- Download the Scouts' rendition of Bill Eidson's GMV m4a, mp3, ogg formats.
- Guidelines for parents attending campouts can be found here.
In general this troop avoids the use of cotton materials for clothing. Cotton absorbs moisture and is recognized as a cause of hypothermia. Please do not bring cotton clothes because it might rain. Because rain and cold are unpredictable, always carry a high quality rain jacket with a hood. Rain pants, a pack cover, and a rain fly for your tent are all desirable gear. Here is an interesting article on backpacking light and various gear.
- PLC Team Building Leadership Training, August 19-20, 2017
- Chattooga River Rafting, September 8-10, 2017
- ILST Training Campout, October 20-22, 2017
- Standing Indian Backpacking, November 10-12, 2017
- Ossabaw Island Service and Backpacking, December 15-18, 2017
- FDR MLK Weekend Campout January 12-14, 2018
- Bonus President's Day Backpacking, February 17-18, 2018
- District Camporee, February 23-25, 2018
- Wilderness Skills, March 23-25, 2018
- Jack's River Dayhiking and Backpacking, April 20-22, 2018
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project May 4-6, 2018
- Summer Backpacking June 2018
- PLC Team Building Leadership Training, August 20-21, 2016
- Ocoee River Rafting, September 9-11, 2016
- ILST Training Campout (Fort Mountain) October 21-23, 2016
- Backpacking Standing Indian (CRT), November 11-13, 2016
- Bonus Ossabah Backpacking, December 16-19, 2016
- Okeefenokee Swamp Adventure January 13-16, 2017
- Andersonville and Providence Canyon February 17-20, 2017
- FDR Dayhiking and Philmont Backpacking March 24-26, 2017
- Silver Comet Trail Biking Adventure April 21-23, 2017
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project, May 5-7, 2017
- Vogel Philmont Backpacking May 5-7, 2017
- Summer Backpacking July 21-23, 2017
- PLC Team Building Leadership Training August 15-16, 2015
- Chattooga River Rafting, September 11-13, 2015
- ILST Training Campout, October 23-25, 2015
- Beginning Backpacking on the AT, November 13-15, 2015
- Pettijohn's Cave, Pigeon Mountain, Rocktown, January 15-18, 2016
- Cumberland Island, Advanced Backpacking and Dayhiking, February 12-15, 2016
- Wilderness Survival Skills, March 18-20, 2016
- Rock Climbing, DeSoto State Park AL, April 15-17, 2016
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project, May 6-8, 2016
- PLC Team Building Leadership Training Campout August 16-17, 2014
- Ocoee River Rafting, September 19-21, 2014
- Wilderness Primitive Skills, October 24-26, 2014
- Conasauga River Backpacking, November 14-16,2014
- Coastal Ga, January 16-19, 2015
- Philmont GA AT Section Hike January 17-19, 2015
- Caving, DeSoto State Park, February 13-16, 2015
- Philmont GA AT Section Hike, February 13-16, 2015
- District Camporee March 20-22, 2015
- Silver Comet Trail Biking Adventure, April 17-19, 2015
- Philmont GA AT Section Hike, April 18-19, 2015
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project, May 1-3, 2015
- Philmont GA AT Section Hike, May 2-3, 2015
- Chattooga River Rafting, September 20-22, 2013
- Silver Comet Trail Biking Adventure, October 25-27, 2013
- Chattooga River Backpacking, November 15-17, 2013
- Okeefenokee Swamp Adventure, January 17-20, 2014
- Providence Canyon, Andersonville, and Plains GA, February 14-17, 2014
- District Camporee, March 21-23, 2014
- Jack's River Hiking and Backpacking[https://private.supertroop197.com/index.php?title=Jack%27s%20River%20Hiking%20and%\
20Backpacking%2C%20April%2011-13%2C%202014 , April 11-13, 2014]
- Ocoee River Rafting, September 14-16, 2012
- Pine Mountain Hiking & backpacking, October 5-7, 2012
- Wilderness Survival Skills, November 9-11, 2012
- Caving & Hiking, January 18-21, 2013
- Cumberland Island (Coastal Ga), February 15-18, 2013
- Hiking & Backpacking, March 22-24, 2013
- Rock climbing, DeSoto State Park, April 19-21, 2013
- Camp Kiwanis, May 10-12, 2013
- Chattooga River Rafting, September 23-25, 2011
- Primitive Skills Training, October 21-23, 2011
- Backpacking, Talladega National Forrest, November 18-20, 2011
- Okeefenokee Swamp Canoeing Adventure, January 13-16, 2012
- Caving,Manitou CaveAL, February 17-20, 2012
- District Camporee, Bert Adams, March 16-18, 2012
- Silver Comet Trail Biking Adventure, April 20-22, 2012
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project, May 11-13, 2012
- Ocoee River Rafting Trip, September 17-19, 2010
- Sand Mountain Rock Climbing, October 15-17, 2010
- ScoutFest October 23rd, 2010
- Pine Mountain Hiking & Backpacking, November 19-21st, 2010
- Providence Canyon, Andersonville, Plains GA, January 14th-17th, 2011
- Cumberland Island, February 18-20th, 2011
- Wilderness Survival, March 25-27th, 2011
- Jack's River, April 29th-May 1st, 2011
- Camp Kiwanis, May 13th-15, 2011
- Chattooga River Rafting Trip September 11-13, 2009
- Silver Comet Biking, October 23-25, 2009
- Conasauga River Backpacking, November 20-22, 2009
- Okefenokee Canoeing Trip, January 15-18, 2010
- Pettijohn's Caving Campout at Pidgeon Mountain, GA, February 26-28, 2010
- Standing Indian Backpacking, Tallulah Falls Hike March 26-28, 2010
- Rock Climbing at Rocktown, April 23-25, 2010
- Camp Kiwanis Service Project, May 7-9, 2010
- Philmont Crew Backpacking Trip May 7-9, 2010
- Ocoee River Rafting Trip September 19-21st, 2008
- Jack's River, Day Hike 10-15 miles (Oct 10-13)
- Chattooga River Backpacking (Nov 21-23)
- Caving, Tumbling Rock, AL (Jan 16-19, 2009)
- Pine Mountain Cold weather hiking and backpacking, (Feb 27-1st)
- Camporee (March 20-22)
- Vogel State Park, Day hike (April 17-19)
- Camp Kiwanis (May 8-10)
- Chattooga Rafting Trip (Sept21-23)
- Conasauga River Trail 2007 (Oct 12-14)
- Rock Climbing Sand Mountain, AL (Nov 16-18)
- Okefenokee Trip (Jan 18-21, 2008)
- Blood Mountain Day Hike (Feb 2008)
- Camporee Feb 2008 (Feb 29-Mar 2)]
- Silver Comet Trail Biking Trip (March 28-30 2008)
- Standing Indian Trail (April 18-20 2008)
- Camp Kiwanis Campout & Service Project (May 9-11 2008)